Swiss Audemars Piguet has been dedicated to manufacturing luxury watches with complex mechanisms since 1875. Now it will strengthen the brand and expand its headquarters at Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG). An old building, located at the western end of Switzerland (Le Brassus), will be expanded with the museum La Maison des fondateurs, which has a spiral structure that seems to emerge from the ground, and will include exhibition spaces, workshops and other spaces.
BIG explained the genesis of this building. The spiral shape is the structure, which encompasses galleries and workshops, following a linear sequence with a return path, which in turn is connected to a space in the upper level of the old building. The most intriguing part of the project is found in the structure forming the flag of the museum, which is formed by a shell of steel-plated brass, supported by a curved structural glass facade.
The area comprising the so-called ‘guest house’ is connected with the museum underground, and it is also topped by a green roof.